4-6 boneless chicken thighs or breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds), skin on or off
- 2 tablespoons of chopped, fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup of dry white wine or vermouth
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
For the sauce:
- 1 3/4 cup of fresh or frozen blackberries or boysenberries
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of red currant jelly (or berry jam or jelly)
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
1 Cut the chicken into 1 1/2 inch pieces and place in a bowl. Mix with the wine, oil, rosemary, and pepper. Cover and set aside to marinate in the refrigerator for one hour.
2 Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade, reserving the marinade. Thread the chicken onto skewers and season generously with salt.
3 Preheat the grill for direct high heat. Brush the grill grates with olive oil. Place chicken skewers on grill and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Place on a platter and cover with foil to allow the chicken to rest.
4 To make the sauce, place the marinade and the berries in a sauce pan and simmer gently until the berries are soft. Press through a strainer and discard the pulp.
5 Return the juice and marinade mixture to the pan. Add the vinegar, jelly, and nutmeg and bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered until it has reduced by about 1/3 to a light syrup-like consistency.
Plate the skewers and spoon the sauce over the chicken. Serve immediately.